I find that most dog owners are very concerned about the food they feed their dog.
You probably asked yourself, “What is the best food I can feed my dog?”
You may have spent many hours trying to find the best possible food to feed him.
It’s one of the best things you can do for your dog’s health.
You’ve probably also wondered, “What should dogs not eat?”
If you are like most dog owners, you know that some human foods are dangerous and even toxic for your dog.
Probably the best known of the yummy human foods that is dangerous for dogs is chocolate.
You may not be aware that there are plenty of other human safe foods that are toxic to dogs and may even kill your dog.
And, you probably have many of these foods in your house every day.
Here’s a list of 11 foods that dogs should never eat.
There are lots of foods that may make your dog sick.
But these 11 foods can cause serious damage and even kill your dog.
That yummy dark chocolate treat for humans contains caffeine and theobromine.
The darker the chocolate the more of these chemicals it contains.
It doesn’t take much chocolate to sicken a dog. As little as 2 ounces can do in your 20-pound pooch.
Eating chocolate can also cause diarrhea and vomiting as well as a rapid heartbeat.
Yeast is what causes bread dough to expand and rise.
If your pup eats yeast by itself or yeast dough, the expansion will happen in your dog’s stomach.
If your dog eats a small amount then it will suffer from gas and discomfort.
But a lot of yeast dough could cause the dog’s stomach and intestines to rupture.
Are you wondering what food you should feed your dog? You’ll find everything you need to know about dog food in Andrew Lewis’ book Dog Food Secrets. Andrew shares lots of tips about which commercial dog foods are best and how to feed your dog the best food possible.
The problematic substance in coffee is caffeine.
Caffeine can cause many problems for your dog, such as
- abnormal heart beat
- tremors and seizures
So, you don’t want your dog to eat anything with caffeine. That includes coffee (liquid, beans, and grounds), tea, cocoa, chocolate, cola drinks, and energy drinks.
Xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener that is found in small amounts in many fruits and vegetables.
It is now produced artificially and used as a sugar substitute in candy, gum, baked products, diet foods, and toothpaste.
Xylitol is not known to cause health problems in people.
However, it is toxic to dogs.
A dog that eats even small amounts of xylitol can experience low blood sugar, loss of coordination, and seizures. Larger doses of xylitol can lead to liver failure and death.
5. Corn on the Cob
You probably didn’t expect to see corn on the cob on this list.
Corn itself is not much of a problem. Your dog can eat corn. If you feed your dog too much corn then he may end up with an upset stomach.
However, the corn cob is a different story. The cob can get stuck in the small intestine.
When this happens, the only solution is to perform an operation to remove it. If it’s not removed, then it can disrupt digestion and kill your dog.
Even though tobacco is not a food, it still belongs on this list. That’s because many people have tobacco around their homes.
The villain with tobacco is the nicotine.
Nicotine is toxic for dogs with these dangerous effects:
- damage the nervous system
- damage the digestive system
- increase the heart rate
- lose consciousness
There is now a new source of nicotine found in some homes: the liquid used in e-cigarettes.
Some e-cig liquids do not contain any nicotine. However, most of them contain enough nicotine that they could kill a toddler or dog who drank the liquid.
7. Raw Fish – Salmon and Trout
This one is a real chain reaction.
The problem isn’t the fish, even when it’s raw.
However, the raw fish may contain a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola, a type of flat worm.
But, it’s not the worm that’s the real problem. You see this worm may be infected and carrying a bacteria: Neorickettsia helminthoeca.
In dogs, this bacteria causes vomiting, anorexia, and dysentery. The infection can be treated early on.
If it’s not treated, it kills dogs within 10 to 14 days.
It’s safe to give your pup properly cooked salmon since this kills the worms and the bacteria.
8. Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums
These fruits present two potential problems for your dog.
The seeds and pits contain cyanide. Also, if a dog swallows the pit it can block the intestines.
If you have any of these fruit trees in your yard, it’s a good idea to keep your dog away from them when they are dropping ripe fruit onto the ground.
9. Grapes and Raisins
Veterinarians have known for years that grapes are poisonous to dogs.
There is a toxin in grapes and raisins that can cause liver damage and kidney failure in dogs.
Thing is, the actual toxin has not been identified.
What is known, is that only a handful of grapes can be fatal.
10. Onions and Chives
You will use onions in many forms: chopped, diced, minced, cooked, or powdered. They are all equally bad for your dog.
Some of the chemicals in onions (disulfides and sulfoxides) damage the red blood cells in dogs. Severe cases can result in anemia which can be fatal.
You need to be aware of processed foods that may contain onions. Always read the label carefully before giving your dog any human food, including baby foods.
What about garlic? It seems that small amounts of garlic are not a problem.
In fact, you’ll find some garlic-flavored treats.
Just be sure you don’t give your dog too much garlic.
11. Macadamia Nuts
These nuts are a tasty, healthy snack for people, but not for your dog.
Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can cause vomiting, tremors, loss of motor control, and death.
There you have it: 11 of the most dangerous foods for dogs to eat.
You’ll always want to keep you precious dog away from these foods. Especially when you are feeding your kids, make sure they don’t share their treat with the dog.